How to reach the Lido and the Monastery of San Nicolò:
- From Venice Marco Polo Airport to Lido (Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta): ‘Alilaguna’ boat shuttle: blue line (direction Airport-San Marco) and red line (direction Airport-Zattere). Journey time approx. 1 hour.
- From Venice Marco Polo Airport to Venice – Piazzale Roma (Auto-park): ‘ACTV’ bus service (orange bus) n.5 or ‘ATVO’ bus direct service (blue coach). Journey time: 20 min.
- From Venice-Piazzale Roma and Santa Lucia railway station to Lido (Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta): From Santa Lucia and Piazzale Roma: ‘ACTV’ public boat (vaporetto) n. 5.1. From Piazzale Roma only: ‘ACTV’ public boat (vaporetto) n. 6.1. Journey time 40 min.
- From The Lido (Santa Maria Elisabetta) to The Monastery of San Nicolò: ‘ACTV’ orange bus ‘B-Piazzale Ravà’ to the Monastery of San Nicolò.
The complete timetables of public transportation are available on these web sites http://www.alilaguna.it, http://www.actv.it, http://www.atvo.it. See also www.veniceairport.it.
Transportation on the Lido and in Venice
The waterbus or “vaporetto” is the main form of transportation in Venice. If you make regular use of public means of transportation the best option for you is to purchase a Travel Card (IMOB Card) that covers the vaporetto service in the whole city of Venice (+ islands) and the bus service on Lido.
The IMOB card can be bought at the price of €40,00 at the ACTV Ticket Office near the vaporetto stops in Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta on Lido or in Piazzale Roma in Venice.
Holders of IMOB card can buy:
- Vaporetto/bus tickets at the reduced price of €1,30 (instead of €7,00)
- A monthly ticket for vaporettos and buses in Venice-Lido at the price of €30,00 (please note that the monthly ticket is issued on the basis of the calendar month, i.e. 1-30 September)
- A 10 journeys booklet at the reduced price of €11,00
To reach Venice (main islands) from the vaporetto stop at Santa Maria Elisabetta (from Lido), you can take the following vaporettos:
- Line 1, which will take you to San Marco (San Zaccaria stop) and up the Grand Canal through Accademia, Rialto and all the way to the railway station (Ferrovia). It is a very romantic trip, but takes a long time.
- Line 5.2 which goes around the city to Piazzale Roma and the railway station through the Giudecca Canal
- Line 5.1 which goes round the city to the railway station and Piazzale Roma on the northern side of Venice (Hospital, Fondamenta Nove)
- Line N which runs all night long with the same itinerary as Line 1
Please check at the Santa Maria Elisabetta vaporetto stop for further information on routes and times or visit the website: http://www.actv.it/
Buses on Lido
The monthly vaporetto pass is also valid for the buses on the Lido. Bus Line 'B-Piazzale Ravà" goes from Santa Maria Elisabetta to San Nicolò, in a circular line. It leaves from S. Maria Elisabetta every 20 minutes, at 12, 32 52 past the hour until 12.33; at 13, 33, 53 after 12.33. It leaves from the Monastery at 04, 24, 44 past the hour before 12.37; at 17, 37, 57 after 12.37.
The Alilaguna is the water shuttle assuring connection between Venice (San Marco square), Lido, Murano and the city’s main airport “Marco Polo”. (http://www.alilaguna.it)
For those arriving by car, there are ferry-boats connecting the Lido to the Tronchetto station in Venice (and vice-versa). Ferry-boats leave the Lido/Tronchetto in either direction every 50 minutes and the trip takes 35 minutes.